Even Coaches Need Coaches – Why Anyone Can Benefit From a LifeMap or Business Coach
Beautiful Ladies – there is a saying, “The quality of your life is a function of the quality of questions you ask yourself.” Great life and business coaches know how to ask you the type of questions that evoke the kind of answers that elevate the quality of your life. Coaches work with you over a set period of time to make sure you follow through on your commitments and that you are accountable for your life, your business, and your actions. What is the No. 1 reason to hire a coach? Because you learn how to create a life you desire and realize actual results. You will develop a greater appreciation for life and those around you. Your positive energy will influence how you relate to your loved ones.
Your real-life results may inspire those around you to pursue their own goals. Your newfound energy, appreciation, and sense of responsibility will elevate the quality of your relationships. It will also mean that you remove the pressure you may have put on others to offer you advice, support, and accountability for your goals, making the time you spend with your loved ones focused on enjoying and appreciating each person. You begin seeing them as unique individuals instead of people who owe you something or have denied you something. In the process, you become stronger and more skilled at living a better quality of life. There is no judging in coaching, coaching is simply ideas, suggestions, and statements to lead you down the path of self-discovery, realization and beneficial behavior modification. You choose whether to accept and embrace the information or not.
1. We all need–and deserve–someone who will listen to us. I do a lot of listening in my work and life–I listen to my clients because I care about them and want to understand them and want to hold a space for them to process their thoughts, feelings, and experiences. Being listened to by a coach is a different kind of experience. Having someone whose entire purpose and intent is to listen is a unique and exquisite experience. When someone listens and offers a reflective question, breakthroughs can occur. No one else will listen to me every week and give advice. To know I have a place where I can be heard is essential. Having someone who will listen to you is essential to your well-being. Masterful coaches listen masterfully.
2. We should receive back what we are giving. There are times during coaching when I step outside of myself and notice what my coach is doing. I notice the questions she asks me, I notice how she holds silence and space, I notice when she says things like, What do you think would be the best way for me to support you?” I notice when she is direct and gives me her opinion or advice. I notice how this coaching works for me–how it makes me feel, or the new insights it generates in me. Being on the receiving end of coaching has helped me see some areas where I can expand my coaching practice and has given me insight into new strategies. I always walk away from my coaching sessions with new understandings of myself and new understandings about my business. Coaches, as we should be, are engaged in a continuous learning and striving for excellence.
3. Deciding to Hire a Coach can be Scary. I’m often aware of how vulnerable I feel when I’m talking to my coach. I notice when I self-monitor, I notice what I hold back. I notice how nervous I feel sharing some thoughts or feelings. Even though I trust my coach–I chose her, she came with great recommendations–I feel nervous. You may be feeling these same reservations about hiring a life map or business or success coach and that is normal. As coaches, we need to be intentionally, consciously, regularly creating a safe space for our clients to learn. Coaches create a safe space and environment for their clients just as a therapist does.
4. Compassion is essential. Because coaching can feel scary or be intimidating at first, our goal as coaches are to hold a space where a client can explore his or her behaviors, beliefs and ways of being, coaches must be compassionate. When you share with your coach you may realize that sometimes the hard feedback–which they provide, the suggestions although for our best interest may be difficult to accept but are for your best good and growth. There is no judging in coaching, coaching is simply ideas, suggestions, and statements to lead you down the path of self-discovery, realization and beneficial behavior modification.
You choose whether to accept and embrace the information or not.
- Coaches create a safe environment in which people see themselves more clearly;
- Coaches identify gaps between where the client is and where the client needs or wants to be
- Coaches require for more intentional thought, action and behavior changes than the client would have asked of him or herself
- Coaches guide the building of the structure, accountability, and support necessary to ensure sustained commitment
Successful athletes obviously understand the power of coaching. Coaching also has an impact on an organization’s financial performance; according to an ICF and HCI study, 60% of respondents from organizations with strong coaching cultures report their revenue to be above average, compared to their peer group. When it comes to building your personal brand, a coach can be a powerful resource who can help you get out of your own way, stand out, and take action to achieve the things that are truly important to you.
Your coach can help you:
- Get clear about your goals. Your company may be pulling you in one direction, while your manager is giving you different advice based on other criteria. Your coach will help you determine what’s really important to you and help you stay focused on that.
- Identify blind spots. Coaches help you figure out what you don’t know, and they clue you into things you may not be able to see. They will be honest with you because they are not vested in any specific outcome.
- Be accountable. Coaches keep you on track and moving forward toward new levels of achievement. For many of us, having someone we answer to motivates us to act.
- Focus your development efforts. Coaches help you know the difference between weaknesses you need to fix and those that are best left as they are. This can help you invest time and energy only in the most fruitful opportunities.
- Gain a competitive advantage. A coach can help you get from point a to b faster than you could on your own, helping you differentiate yourself from the pack and advance your career at a quicker clip.
- Acquire leadership skills. Coaches model skills that are valuable for today’s leaders. After you work with a coach for a while, you can start to adopt those powerful questioning techniques, which helps you become a better listener. This is just one of the many ways you can integrate a coaching style into your own leadership approach.
- Increase engagement, sales and grow your business. A recent Gallup study revealed that only 13% of employees worldwide are engaged at work. Yet according to a study done by HCI and the ICF, coaching correlates with increased employee engagement; 65% of employees from companies with strong coaching cultures rated themselves as highly engaged.
- Feel happier. Because coaches help you identify and align your values, create a focus, cut through the clutter. Coaches help you increase your professional fulfillment.
Simply put, a coach will help you achieve success. How much is that worth to you? Priceless
If you are ready to hire a coach – check out the Hello Beautiful Ladies website which is full of FREE downloadable content and videos to help you reach your life and career goals. When you are ready to invest in yourself reach out to me, Andrea Swensen. I’m a certified life map, success, career and business coach with over 2,000 hours of coaching experience
With your purchase of a 10 session coaching package, you will receive an additional session for FREE, and a Hello Beautiful Ladies T-shirt. Go to the HBL website under the Breakover or Shop Tab and sign up for your coaching sessions today. If you. Have questions or would like additional information, contact me at [email protected]