ASK ANDREA – Tips on Building a Professional Reputation
I recently had a blogger AskAndrea – How do I develop a Professional Reputation and be an individual whom people respect?
Available FREE to you on the www.HelloBeautifulLadies.com Website under Shop, Life Map and the BreakOver tabs. you can download for FREE the Video and Workbook/Ebook on Image & InFluence.
TIPS ON BUILDING A PROFESSIONAL REPUTATION
1. Assemble your own personal board of directors & mentors. I suggest four or five whom you respect for advice and whose opinions you trust.
2. Start a proof of worth file–New skills, your job descriptions, your own personal assets liabilities file, this can be used when asking for a promotion or a raise.
3. Never badmouth co-workers, or bosses, you are being paid for loyalty
4. Keep personal problems to yourself at work. Do not share your life’s saga with co-workers
5. Be known as a peacemaker, not a troublemaker. Take on the company grouch as a project
6. Each day do one small thing that will increase your self-respect. Exercise, write a letter, read a chapter in a novel. Buy a foreign language book, learn new vocabulary words (30 days to a new vocabulary), Read an inspirational thought each morning to start your day and review a list of things you must be grateful for.
7. Develop your own personal credo. Something you believe in. What you stand for. Be known as cooperative, helpful and willing to learn and tackle new projects.
REPROGRAM YOUR MENTAL TAPE RECORDER
The self-conscious (What you say to yourself should be positive). Engage in positive self-talk. Visualize yourself during meditation on achieving the success you desire and becoming the individual that others admire and respect. The subconscious (Your body believes every word you say, so if you are negative your body will exhibit ill health, if you are positive you will find you have more energy).
Key points to remember about our subconscious
1. It attracts you to whatever it concludes you want, so continually be giving it positive directions.
2. It always says yes. It agrees with us except the dialogue in our head about decisions.
3. Give your subconscious STRONG, clear suggestions about what you want in life.
What one thing do you want right now in your life? Repeat it when you go to bed and when you awake in the morning. What do you want and what are you willing to do to get it? It will take perseverance, you must be willing to sacrifice to get what you want.
FOUR WAYS TO DEVELOP CLASS & PROFESSIONALISM
When we say a person has class what do we mean? Integrity, sense of self, since the ability to others, the ability to handle life’s continuing problems. Can you develop class: absolutely?
Three facets of classiness are: what you say, how you say it, how you look.
1. Act impeccably – perform every act as though it were the only thing to ever be done, no matter how small. Treat your job with importance. It’s quite likely to return the favor.
2. Develop staying power – Don’t job jump every year or you will lose credibility.
3. Never reveal all of yourself to others, keep that element of mystery. Don’t share your personal problems at work or with co-workers.
4. Learn from your mistakes.
AVOID THESE POWER ROBBERS IN SPEAKING
Men 3 octaves. men tend to speak in a lower voice and more slowly than women
Women 4 octaves. We talk fast, our voice pitch may be too high, we speak too softly, we don’t project
98 times to 2, men interrupt women
100% of the time men overpower and talk when both genders begin speaking at the same time
o WINDING UP
Inflection at the end, this makes it sound like a question instead of a statement, it makes you seem not credible instead of sounding like an authority figure
Women become coy around men, this is a mistake, be strong and exude confidence, you will be taken more seriously
o ASKING RATHER THAN TELLING
Women ask 70% more questions than men, this is good we are not afraid to learn. Never be afraid to ask a question.
o USING MUSHY WORDS
Teeny-tiny itty bitty I believe I feel I think Adorable gross darling sorta kind of – These words have no place in a professional environment
o TALKING TOO MUCH
Men use silence to their advantage- Never feel the need to fill the silence, you will learn more if you keep quiet, especially after asking a question.
Less space than men—phone booth posture – Stand erect with your shoulders back, no slouching or slumping
3. EYE CONTACT:
Look people in the face right in the eye
Use arms and hands—it’s okay to do so just don’t over do
5. FACE AND HEAD:
Don’t use head cocks—it’s too coy, Keep hands off face when talking, Don’t smile inappropriately and don’t be constantly refreshing your make up especially if you are in a business meeting
Smile when pleased—don’t smile to please
Can be powerful – however, you will need to respect each individual’s personal space.
Maintain eye contact, this portrays confidence, keep eyes steady, but don’t stare
No- down eyes, avoiding eye contact
Down at side when standing, in front when sitting, gesturing appropriately
No-Fiddling, fidgeting, no pointing of fingers
Firm, appropriate volume, friendly, well-modulated, well-paced, make statements
No- Too soft, slow, stammering, pitch rises at end, monotone, asks questions
Loud, demanding, flippant, sarcastic, scornful
When standing, ensure your weight is evenly balanced, when sitting, feet flat on the floor or legs crossed at the knee, or at the ankles with right over left foot. Avoid shifting, or crossing and uncrossing legs, swinging foot when crossed. When standing, a wide, military stance, hands on hips imply confidence and authority
AVOID LOSING CONTROL AT WORK
1. Don’t be intimidated by other people’s degrees, titles, etc. You are great the way you and you’re better than some but never less than anyone. Don’t let anyone scare you.
2. Know what you want. Don’t let others wants, thoughts, and values dictate to you. Don’t lose your ability to know what you want. Stay strong.
3. Develop a business first, company first attitude. Don’t back down easily.
4. Learn to say no. You have a right to disagree. (Read “The One Thing” by Gary Keller. In the book, there is a sign that I have posted on my fridge and desk that says “In case I can’t say NO this sign will have to do it for me”
5. Don’t fear the unknown. Pursue it as an adventure. I never regret what I did but what I didn’t do.
6. Don’t worry about being rejected.
POWER PHRASES TO USE WHEN HIJACKED BY A BOSS OR CO-WORKER
Look right into their eyes and say, “I’m very surprised by that remark – I would like to comment on it. However, I’m not going to deal with it right now.” I’m going to take some time to reflect on your remark and I will address it later.
IF THAT FAILS, TRY THIS:
I am shocked by the insensitivity of that remark. – (keep your voice level)
You must be willing to be disliked, however, you must never be willing to be disrespected.
FOR MORE INFORMATION – Download Image & Influence – Available FREE to you on the www.HelloBeautifulLadies.com Website under Shop, Life Map and the BreakOver tabs you can download for FREE the Video and Workbook/Ebook on Image & InFluence.